Quiet Time Musings

A place for my thoughts of the day while the children sleep.

Friday, July 13, 2007

The Mommy Drug

Can I tell you about my day today? I have discovered my drug of choice - time off. After four years and two months of motherhood, I have finally discovered the thing that will clear the path to some stress release. Time to myself to do what I want to do, not grocery shop or run errands.

I dropped my kids off at daycare this morning. Baby Boy only went for the morning, but what a joy to have 3.5 hours ahead of me with no commitments but to myself. So I picked up a friend and we went on an hour hike up a mountain. It's 30C+ here at the moment and we were dyin', but the 10 minutes at the top to sit and look out over the mountains and the lake and cool down was worth it. I dropped her off and went home for a nice long, uninterrupted shower and time on the computer before I picked Baby Boy up. The bonus was that I brought him home, put him down for his nap and then went out on my own AGAIN.....to have a patio lunch with ANOTHER friend, while my husband worked from home.

I felt like a real person again today. I don't what that means really, but it felt so wonderful to just move to my own drum today. I was a better mother for it when I picked Baby Girl up from daycare and had to deal with hot, tired, cranky children. Their whines and needs just rolled off my back. My refresh button had been pushed. Why didn't I figure this out sooner?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home