Quiet Time Musings

A place for my thoughts of the day while the children sleep.

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Eating woes

So I was reading a blog over at Cheaty Monkey all about Haley-O being excited about her daughter finally eating. It must be nerve racking to watch your child all day long, picking away at his/her food, wondering if they are consuming enough calories. I have a friend with two kids who are like that. They pick and pick at their food. Snacks are available all day, anytime, in hopes that they will eat.

I, on the other hand, have the opposite problem and I swear, somedays, it's going to drive me to drink (a habit I sadly gave up years ago). My kids want to eat ALL THE TIME. We eat a good breakfast here. I remind them that this is all there is until lunch and they look at me and say they're all done. As soon as we get into the car to go into town for our morning activity, they start asking. Baby Boy says it as soon as you plant his bum in his car seat. "I want en-ga (his toddler word for food)". We go to the park. Baby Boy doesn't play - he just eats. We sit on the park bench for hours, just snacking away on whatever I have in the backpack. Sometimes I only bring one snack - a fruit bar or fish crackers, and he has an absolute meltdown if there's not more to eat. If we have friends at the park, they want to eat their snack too. I often question why we even go to the park, when we could have very happily just stayed home and ate all morning.

I honestly believe that food is one of the hardest parts of being a mother for me. It feels like that's what I spend the majority of my day doing - making food, thinking about food, cleaning up food. I hate thinking about what to make for meals. I wonder if my kids get sick of eating the same things over and over again, but I just can't find more exciting things to make. And when I do finally get some inspiration, they don't eat. What's up with that?

So for all the parents out there that worry about whether their kids are eating enough, know that on the opposite end of the spectrum, there are parents with non-stop eaters having our own frustrations with the never ending requests.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Bea said...

A friend of mine has a son like that - he's just driven by his constant insatiable hunger. She even took him to the doctor to make sure he was okay, and he reassured her that he's doing fine, and she be able to eat as much as he wants at this stage. (He's a VERY tall boy for his age, so he obviously needs a lot of fuel!)

I often feel that if I could just get somebody else to be entirely in charge of the preparation and administering of the food, the rest of my job description would be so, so easy.

4:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home