Quiet Time Musings

A place for my thoughts of the day while the children sleep.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Distractions

So I'm stressed out....and feel like I'm burning out. Last fall I decided it was time to step outside of my SAHM bubble and do some volunteering. I joined a local board and thought it would be a good way for me to connect with some people on a working level. As per my personality, I jumped in with two feet and my entire torso. It was a pretty laid back group, as per our small town locale and my eagerness allowed me to take on lots. Three months ago I was feeling a bit overwhelmed. I was in charge of fundraising and not getting much support, but it felt great to be doing grown-up things again.

AND THEN SHIT HIT THE FAN. Without getting into details, our Executive Director resigned and the Board is trying to hold things together while recruiting a new person for the job. And guess who's the go-to-girl, overseer of almost everything? ME. Why? Because everyone is busy and many people are slackers and I hate the thought of dropping the ball. The hardest part is that with every task that needs to be done, there seems to be 10 issues to resolve. Not a pretty picture.

So I'm stressed out. I'm not sleeping well. I'm spending way too much time on the computer doing "work" and not enough time being relaxed with my kids. My urge to write isn't even there, because I spend so much time responding to emails. It sucks. Thank goodness I have a VERY VERY VERY supportive and understanding husband and I have a whole week of vacation without my kids in the very near future when I will have no choice but to walk away and not think about any of it.

On a happy note, I have successfully motivated myself to go to the gym. I've been to three classes so far and swam several times while Baby Girl has been doing lessons. I've even successfully made it through the caffeine headache and given up my Coke Slurpee habit. My body is incredibly achy....but it feels great!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Blog said...

Congrats on the gym stuff and kicking the coke slurpee habit -- ew? ;)

At least amid all the work, you're taking care of yourself. That'll help you get through all the stress of the work. Hopefully, things will calm down a bit, and you can enjoy yourself with your kids, and when you're ON VACATION! :) Hope you sleep better tonight.

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home